Learn the art of artisan soap making. Make beautiful, all-natural soaps. The course takes place in a relaxed and friendly learning environment, courses are hosted by Paula, founder of Old Bexley Soap Co.
Our award winning soap making courses are approximately 5 hour sessions and they take place in a spacious and comfortable hall in Bexley.
In this course we will go through the whole process of soap making to empower aspiring soap makers to make their own natural soaps for home, friends and family.
Some students have further their knowledge in our Soap and Cosmetics Business Course and since launched their own soap business.
You will make a batch of cold process soap (palm free and vegan) from scratch (around 8 soaps) and you will be able to take them with you at the end of the day.
We will finish the session with a delicious Afternoon Tea. Gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian or vegan diets can be catered for.
Adults only, you must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
We also offer one to one courses and group bookings on demand.
In the course you will learn:
• How to make traditional cold process soap
• How to create your own scent blend from essential oils and colour your soap using clays, micas or activated charcoal
• How to work safely with lye
• How to formulate your own recipes using a lye calculator
• The properties of soap making oils and why we use them
• How to make a great bar of soap
• An introduction about compliance, safety regulations and legalities pertaining the sale of handmade soap.
Price £120 per person
Course times: 10am to 3pm
What is included in the price?
The course includes all ingredients, the use of soap making equipment and protective equipment, refreshments and afternoon tea.
You will take home a selection of soaps you make, a beginners recipe, a comprehensive course handout and the confidence to make soap at home on your own!
Please bring long sleeve clothing.
Upcoming dates 2021
• Saturday, 15th May 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
• Sunday, 13th June 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
• Sunday, 4th July 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
• Sunday, 12th September 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
• Sunday, 10th October 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
• Sunday, 14th November 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
• Sunday, 12th December 2021, 10am-3pm (Freemantle Hall, 51-75 Bexley High Street, DA5 1AA)
How to Book
Please click the “Book Course” button to book your chosen date. After your booking is complete you will receive an enrolment form with further details.
Please read our Courses terms and conditions here
Beginner’s Soap Making Course with Afternoon Tea in Bexley (Kent) – London
- Please read our terms and conditions HERE
For private sessions and One to One lessons please see fees HERE
The course venue is in Bexley, Kent which means we are easy to get to from London, Kent, Essex and East Sussex. We are just a few minutes walk from Bexley train station (zone 6 on Oyster Card), with regular trains from London Bridge, Waterloo East, Charing Cross and Cannon Street. Bus 269, 132 B12, 229 and 492 stop nearby. We are just off the A2 and close to the M25.
Buying this course as a gift?
Why don’t you treat someone to a soap making course?. You can buy a gift voucher here
“If I could leave a rating of 11 out of ten I would do so. From the moment I walked in to the course I found Paula warm and engaging.
My biggest worries about making soap were the safety issues around handling lye and by the end of the course – not only had she allayed these fears but she has instilled such confidence that I am planning to make my first batch of soap this week at home.
I have to mention the attention to detail that was given to this course…it was really was thorough and most definitely value for money.” Rowena
“I was really looking forward to this course once I booked; it was even better than I could have dreamt. I had a wonderful day and learnt so much. This course stands out, as not only do you make soaps but Paula goes through the whole process from start to finish and more.
Paula is a wonderful host and teacher; so enthusiastic and helpful. The lunch/afternoon tea provided was lovely and homemade (very impressed with the scones!).
Paula was very thorough with her teaching of the soap making process so if you want to carry on at home, you can do so safely. She went through the properties of all the oils that can be used and when/how you might want to adjust her recipe. She also covered legislation around product safety, using essential oils, registrations etc. So if you are wanting to sell your own soaps you have a great starting point.
Love, love, loved it! . Samantha Briscoe “